Sunday, October 26, 2008

A trip to the hospital




It has been a along weekend and I'm glad it's all over and that life is back to normal.
I took Ashlyn to the peditrcian Friday. She was experianceing bloody diarrhea and sever cramping. When the Dr looked at her he thought she might have appendicites because the pain was on the right side of her stomach. So from there we were sent to the hospital to get blood work, ultrasound, and cat scans done. It took forever. It seams like we were passed around form one Dr to the next and spent allot of time waiting. The whole time poor Ashlyn was hunched over from pain and a puke bag to her face. I had Jessica with me and because I was trying to keep her entertained I was not much help to my sick little girl. But she was a trooper. I decided that when you’re sick the last place you should be is in a hospital! Finally, the results from the CAT scan showed that she did not have appendicitis and they sent us home.
A couple of hours later I received a call form the Dr. saying that he just received the images from the CAT scan. He said that Ashlyn had colitis. For you who do not know what this is it's an acute or chronic inflammation of the membrane lining the colon-your large intestine. The Dr was worried about her becoming dehydrated and the complications this might cause they asked me to bring her in for the night so they could but an IV in her and pump her full of fluids. This would also allow her intestines to rest and hopefully recover faster.
They but an IV in Ashlyn during her cat scan. This was not a good experience for her. She was so upset at the thought of having another IV and having to stay the night at the hospital. I asked her if she would like a blessing. She said yes. I called a good friend and asked if her husband could come over and do this for her and he did. It was so nice to have this comfort before she went in. It was not only a blessing of healing but also one of comfort. It gave both mom and daughter peace.
Once at the hospital, we had to wait about an hour before they put in her IV. This was a little mirical because right when they were about to put this Scott came into the room. Ashlyn was so anxious and to see her daddy come in you could see her anxiety just disappear. He was like her knight in shinning armor. He held her hand and distracted her with humor. It was perfect.
The night in the hospital was exactly what she needed. She woke the next morning with color back in her face and most of the pain gone. It was wonderful! However they made us stay the whole day so they could observer her while they waited for her blood cultures to come back. They blood came back clean and we were sent home about 6:30pm.
Today, Ashlyn has been fine. It funny how fast things change.

4 comments:

Tawn said...

What a scary experience, I'm so glad everything worked out! :) She is too cute!

Ramirez Family said...

We are very happy to hear Ashlyn is back to normal. The boys and Bella have been praying for her in all their prayers.

Amy and Mike said...

I'm so glad that she is feeling better. When mom told us I was so worried. That must have been really scary. Is this a condition that she will continue to deal with or was this hopefully the only case? Tell her we love her.

Deborah said...

Ashlyn, we just can't believe you had to go through that. We've been praying for you and are so glad you are feeling better. Vanessa and Sam have been SOOO worried about you! By the way, your duet yesterday was beautiful. Way to go!